Tuesday, January 19, 2010

No Phone Zone


I didn't catch all of Oprah on Monday but the show was talking about the DANGERS of distracted driving. They seemed to focus on cell phone use - talking, texting, etc. The stories that I saw - awful!

I really don't have a problem with texting while I drive. But I love to talk while I drive. I get more done.

I am totally guilty of saying - "I can do both things."

Apparently, distracted driving is equivilant to driving after 4 alcoholic drinks.

I have no patience for drunk drivers. I hate that some people think they can handle a few drinks and still drive. It is so irreresponsible. But I hadn't really thought about how distracted driving is really the same thing.

Without a phone and just kids in the car, I am a distracted driver. Then you add my life, stress, mind, and then a phone. Geesh.

So I made the pledge to make my car a "No Phone Zone." And today was hard. I kept wanting to grab my phone. I have to tuck it away. And I still want to pull it out. I LOVE my phone. It is probably a little ridiculous and I know some of you can't relate. But it is bad!

I was waiting for Kenyon to get home tonight and I wanted to call him. But I couldn't. I didn't want him to answer the phone while he was driving. Torture.

5 comments:

H C M said...

That is a good pledge. I will do it too. One time I was a passenger in a car where the driver was speeding on the freeway, texting and looking something up on a palm or gps thing. I was scared!

Amy Morley said...

Oh, we need to watch this Oprah! Chris and I are such cell phone talking drivers. What a hard pledge. I don't know if I could do it? I KNOW Chris couldn't. We will watch and try to make a promise :)

David said...

Possibly, just possibly, just because Oprah says it, doesn't mean its true, or that there is evidence to support it. 4 drinks? That seems like a very precise number for a very non precise topic. and what is the definition of distracted? Texting? phone calls? Hands free? Changing the radio station? Talking to screaming kids? Its noble Annie, but probably a little over kill. I think cutting out the texting would probably be sufficient, and you'll be able to avoid all those "I tried to call you to tell you practice was cancelled" moments.

Angie said...

You're good. I don't think I could go without my phone in the car. Luckily I don't have a car at this time in my life, so I have a few years to committ to the same safe decision before I have to actually do something about it. Good luck!

Kristine said...

just finished watching a 15 minute segment from the show. WOW! scary stuff.

i need to be better. got to be better!