Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hooray for Food!

Carrot Apple Nut Muffins
Description:Yummy muffins I made for Mom and Dad from my new Williams-Sonoma Baking cookbook.
Ingredients:1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran or wheat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cup grated, peeled tart apple (about 1 large)
1 1/4 cup finely grated, peeled carrots (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1/2 cup golden raisins or craisins
2 T granulated sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:Preheat 400. Prepare muffin tins.In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients and sugar.In a large bowl, beat the eggs on low speed until blended then add yogurt and butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until half moistened. Add the apple, carrots, nuts and raisins and stir until just evenly distributed. Do not overmix.Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups filling about 3/4. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top (I forgot to do this). Bake 15-18 minutes. Sore in container for 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.Number Of Servings:Makes 16



I got 3 new cookbooks for Christmas. So fun. I am planning on trying lots of new recipes so I will post them as I try them. We all enjoyed these muffins - and pretty healthy too. Makes for a great breakfast.

Tonight for dinner I made a Skillet Penne with Chicken, Broccoli and Sun-Dried Tomatoes. So yummy. That came from my America's Test Kitchen cookbook from Kenyon.

On the side I have posted my mom's Lemon Tarragon Chicken with Asparagus - great slow cooker meal.

So far my most favorite cookbook that can be purchased (my mom's is great - but not available) is Ivory Family Favorites - sold at the Make-A-Wish Foundation. You can't go wrong with that cookbook. My cousin Katie has made a Wirthlin family cookbook and maybe one day she will sell them on her blog. It is fabulous and is very well done.

I am trying to plan a cooking birthday party for my daughter's birthday. If you have any great ideas of food kids can make let me know!! She is so excited about helping in the kitchen.