Saturday, September 13, 2008

September in Utah


I really do love fall in Utah but it just doesn't last quite long enough. I love the weather right now. But for some reason - all my kids want to do is play inside. Lame. Go out!

I am not a sports fanatic. Duh. But, I do like BYU sports and I enjoy going to a good BYU football game. Especially on a day like today. (Wasn't that a crazy win?) Kenyon LOVES BYU football, so it is very frustrating that instead of going to the game today we were at home. Sick. Kenyon is worse and it is frustrating - for both of us. And then I have some crazy cold. I have had allergy problems that get worse with being prego but now it has developed into some sort of cough. What is that about? How are we supposed to function in this house if I am not totally healthy? I could scream. Actually, I just tend to cry a lot. Nice, I know.

As far as Kenyon goes, we don't really know exactly what the problem is but it is probably Graft vs Host Disease. We won't know that for a little longer - a few more tests but they ruled out a bacteria. He is really miserable and he HATES it. Rightly so. 80+ days of puking and then it gets worse could ruin any day. He has definitely lost more weight, which is also discouraging because we were doing so well. He had gained a couple of pounds before Thursday hit and then he dropped a good 8 or 9 pounds in the last couple days. You are probably thinking - are there any more pounds to lose? No, not on Kenyon. Meanwhile, I have easily gained 9 pounds this week. Thanks Baby!

If it is GVHD, it is not shocking or terribly bad news. It is kind of what they expect and they treat it with steroids. In fact, some doctors think a little GVHD is not such a bad thing - except for the person who has to deal with it. But as far as the transplant goes, it is quite common. It would probably mean extending the time some of the meds are taken and adding a couple (all bad news for Kenyon).

While I am in a complaining mood - I'll tell you what else I am sick of. Driving to Huntsman. What is that about? It is so flipping far away and I drove up there 4x this week. Shoot me. I already have to go a couple times for sure next week and maybe more. Oh well. At least we have Huntsman and we didn't have to move to some other state to deal with this. Lots of people do.

On a good note - Kenyon's hair is growing back. It is not much but some good fuzz all over. He is excited and so are the kids. The kids had soccer games this morning and all played hard. I only saw bits of all three as I jumped from each game but it was all over by 10:30 am. That is a little insane for me.

13 comments:

Sunni said...

I am sooo sorry for Kenyon, I wish I had a magic wand to wave over him and make this all better! Or at least a magic nose like on Bewitched so I could twinkle you up to Huntsman?! We're praying for you.

Anon said...

Please let me know what I can do to help out with the kids (or anything) I am usually around. I hope you both start to feel better and fast!

Lisa P. said...

Ok, I've been debating whether to leave a comment, and I hope you don't think it's weird, but I'm a friend of the metcalfs (brent and kristy-I don't know if you remember me) and I was kind of blog hopping or you could say blog stalking;) and hit your blog from Marci's. I occasionally come and check up on you. I just want to say how inspiring you are. You have such a good positive funny attitude and I can't imagine what you all are going through but I admire you. I'm glad you blogged about donating umbilical cord blood. I didn't know you could do that and I wish I would've known that when I gave birth a year ago. Anyway I hope this wasn't too weird but keep being strong and you are in my prayers.

Lisa (Pettey) Price (daysofourprice.blogspot.com)

Katie said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are frustrating right now. I wish there was something I could do to help. Unfortunately, I'm pretty useless these days. I think we have come up with a name for the baby, at least I know what I will put on the birth certificate if I have the baby while Jeremy is out of town this week. We probably still won't feel certain until the baby is born and the name is actually on the records. Good luck with deciding on one yourselves. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I could pick up Gavon for preschool or he is welcome to come play at our house anytime you need a break. Holly would love that. Or at least let him stay and play while Elise and Teague have piano lessons.

Heidi said...

Well I am constantly amazed at how you are able to keep on goin' with your crazy life right now. I admire you so much. Take care of yourself -- when I was pregnant with Teagan I started with allergies, then a cough, and eventually ended up being in the hospital for 4 days with pneumonia. So take as many deep breaths as you can!!

Lindsey said...

For real Annie, please call me when you need me to watch the kids or drop Kenyon off at Huntsman or anything or if you don't feel like making dinner. I really do want to help more. Have you asked your doctor for a prescription for a nasal spray? I did with Cannon when allergies and sinus problems flared up and it helped me soooo much.

Becky said...

I wish I lived closer and could help you out. When is that baby due? I want prego pictures, I don't think I've ever seen you pregnant!!

The Loves said...

What can we do to help? Please call us, we are just down the street and I love your kids. They are all welcome anytime and I am always home. My kids are so content when your boys come down. Send them all the time!

McKinlay Family said...

I love you. I know you won't call, so I will have to be creative with something I can do to help you out. Don't get too excited, but I will think of you. Even if it is just chocolate with mint and a good book.

hOLLIANN said...

Go Cougs!

Allman Roca said...

Sorry, it's so crappy right now. I hope all starts looking up at the Porter household.
Oh- for your cold..saline nose spray. "Simply Saline"...it is the best.. It works wonders for congestion!
Oh- Congrats on the hair growth Kenyon. Many balding men around the world are insanely jealous right now.:)

Janna said...

I hope it is GVHD then he can get the extra meds and hopefully start eating again. I don't know how you do it all. Don't forget about yourself and try to get the rest that you need. We love you!

Christina said...

Just the name of the disease sounds really scary. Man, Annie, you are doing an awesome job.I am so sorry you are sick. I say it all the time but moms just really can't get sick, can get. You know what I like about you? Well, among other things, is that you are being so real about all of this. Maybe you don't know what I am talking about because you don't know how to be anything else. You are very inspiring. Thanks.