Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember

I remember that day. We all do - I guess. I turned on the TV after Kenyon had left for work and I remember thinking - What is this? Is this a movie preview on the Today Show. It really took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck was happening. Then, I couldn't stop watching TV. That night I was having a baby shower at my house for one of my friends. There was some debate - should it still go on? We ended up having the shower but under less than wonderful circumstances. I think I was still in denial or at least not completely grasping the gravity of the events.

A couple of years ago we took a trip to NYC with our friends. I knew that we had planned on going to see ground zero but I didn't quite plan on what that would be like. We came out of the subway and there it was. It hit me so much harder than I had ever expected. I was so such a basket of emotions. I am glad that we saw it when it was a big hole. Last year, I went back and it was mostly covered or under construction and it was a different experience. Seeing that massive hole in the earth and reading all the signs was so moving.

Tonight is CRAZINESS but tomorrow I plan to drive the kids over to park in Sandy where all the flags are posted. I want my kids to know something of this event and the impact in our lives. We are so grateful for the sacrifice of men and women around the country who are serving in the armed forces. It is such a blessing to be surrounded by people who are willing to make a sacrifice for the good of others.

7 comments:

Anon said...

I could not agree with you more.

Andrea said...

That's one of those days most people probably remember where they were and what they were doing. I was running on the treadmill (yea way back when I was in shape) with the TV on in the background, and I caught an image of a plane crashing into a building and didn't know what was going on. When I watched some more, I was in such shock and denial I just broke down crying.
Crazy. I hope I never see another day like that in my life.

Kristine said...

great post! i remember listening to the radio as i was driving from seminary to school and hearing the news but not really understanding what was going on!

i can't believe it was 7 years ago!

Hurd Family said...

Love reading your comments about that significant day. I am also thankful that I could go to ground zero and feel the love there. Thanks

Annelise Kimball said...

Annie, I love your blog. I've only recently caught on, and now have seen the light. Only now I am fighting for time to try and blog. We're glad to hear everything seems to be going well with Kenyon's recovery. Hang in there with everything.

Sunni said...

I was sitting on the couch as pregnant as you were wondering what kind of world our little girls would be coming into. I agree with you, I am so grateful for our service men and women, and for the freedoms we enjoy in this blessed country.

Christina said...

annie, thanks for the tribute. I just let the day go by without even thinking about that crazy day. I guess forgetting stuff is one of my coping skills. But you are right, this is something to be remembered. I was in Chicago, teaching third graders and by the end of the school day, almost everything was shut down.