Saturday, February 23, 2008

Snowshoeing to Stewart Falls


On President's Day, Kenyon and I thought it would be a fun adventure to take the kids snowshoeing to Stewart Falls. They have hiked this trail so we were pretty confident they could do it on snowshoes. It was a gorgeous day.
I think we kind of forgot that snowshoeing is actually quite hard work. It took a lot of encouragement to get child #1 to make it. The other two really were pretty good little hikers but still a few complaints about the length.
The great part about it - even though it wasn't tons of fun due to the excessive whining and complaining - was that it was a great lesson in doing hard things and reaching your goal. Child #1 would have turned back at any time and quit. He was sure that he would not be disappointed if he never got to the waterfall. But I felt very strongly that he should make it all the way to the waterfall. We made it. And then going back wasn't so bad and everyone was quite happy by the time we made it to the Sundance Lodge and had hot chocolate, cookies and yummy suckers.
The sad thing is that my battery died and I have no pictures to document the event. I want the kids to be able to do hard things and feel good about their accomplishments. We'll have to keep coming up with activities like that (that is if Kenyon and I have the patience to endure the whining).

3 comments:

H C M said...

That brings back so many memories of hauling you kids to Timpanogas or Wallace Falls. But, after it is over you are so glad you did it for many reasons. Way to go. The motto "I can do hard things" is one of the best ever.

Allman Roca said...

I am impressed! You Porters never cease to amaze me. No wonder why you are so skinny!

mid said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/15-gedung-pernikahan-di-jakarta-dan-harga-sewa/