Monday, February 25, 2008

Baked Four-Cheese Pasta

Dang I wish I had taken a picture of this. I have got to remember.

This is a yummy, not so healthy dish that everyone loved tonight. It comes from Cook's Country (a sister magazine to Cook's Illustrated).

4 slices of bacon, chopped fine
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream (I used half cream and half 2%)
3/4 pound penne - I love Barilla Plus - it is a multigrain pasta packed with the good stuff (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup frozen peas
pepper
1 cup shredded Italian 4-cheese blend (or whatever commericially available preshredded Italian cheese blend is available at your store)

1. Pre-heat oven to 450.
2. Cook bacon, onion and garlic in large skillet over med. high heat until onion is softened - about 5 minutes. Add broth, cream, pasta, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to med. low and simmer, stirring frequently until pasta is tender - about 15 minutes.
3. Off heat, stir in Parmesan and peas and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to 2qt casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and spotty brown- about 5 minutes.

We ate this with strawberry banana smoothies (minus the bananas for me) and a salad with cranberry vinegarette.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

This pasta was SO SO yummy. And I can be picky about pasta -- thanks to my days in Italy. But I loved this recipe. Thanks for sharing!