Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Favorite Thing

Tonight for our Relief Society activity, we gathered to share some of our favorite things. It was a great way to learn things about each other and get some good ideas. I forgot that one of my FAVORITE things is my Favorites Cookbook by the Ivory Family (you can buy it at the Make-A-Wish foundation). It is a winner.

Sunday we had a little Superbowl Party. Sort of. The game was on but we aren't really big NFL fans. But the company was great and the food was GRUB!  It might be one of my favorite Sunday meals of the year.  I made Mexican Chicken Chowder from the Favorites. (Jul - post the recipe for those cookies). It is not for those trying to be healthy (but come on - is any of the food you eat a Superbowl party for the healthy?).

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder (no picture because I stink at taking food pictures) - Thanks to Christina for introducing me to this recipe and the cookbook.
1 1/2 lbs boneless,skinless chicken cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 clove minced garlic
3 T butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup hot water
1 tsp cumin
2 cups half and half
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 - 14 3/4 oz can cream-style corn
1 - 4 oz can diced green chilies, undrained
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 medium tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro

In a large saucepan, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, cheese, corn, chilies, and tabasco sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro. We also like to add some tortilla chips to ours.

3 comments:

Malea said...

I ALWAYS think of Christina when I make something good. But I fail at taking the photo's that make the half eaten food good and not...half eaten. This recipe looks delish!

Dayna said...

It was fun reading this post because I am actually going to a "Favorite Things" party tonight. Everyone is bringing their favorite thing and then we are going to do a game of white elephant with them. Everyone lucks out. That recipe book sounds awesome. I am going to have to check it out!

Katie M. said...

This is one of my favorite soup recipes of all time. And everything, as we all know, from that blessed cookbook, well, rocks my socks.